As its name implies, a conventional rate mortgage is one where the interest rate on your home loan remains the same throughout its duration.
Conventional rate mortgages are the most popular form of home loan in the United States largely due to the appeal of a consistent mortgage payment amount over the life of the loan.
In many instances, conventional rate mortgages have higher mortgage payments than adjustable rate mortgages. This is most often because the interest rate remains unchanged for the duration of the loan. Typically, loans with longer terms will have a higher interest rate than loans with shorter terms due to interest rate risk, or the possibility of fluctuating interest rates.
Conventional-Rate Mortgage Benefits
- The biggest benefit of a conventional rate mortgage is the fact that the interest rate does not change over time. This allows you to budget your finances and make a consistent, fixed payment over the duration of your loan.
- Conventional rate mortgages allow you to lock in an interest rate and principal payment for the entire life of your loan. Your rate and principal payment never increase, even if the market changes – giving you peace of mind.
- Other benefits include:
- Competitive interest rates
- Locked interest rate for the life of your loan
- Easier-to-understand loan terms and paperwork
Get Pre-Qualified for a Conventional-Rate Mortgage
With flexible options, program expertise, and superior service, we’ll work with you from application to close to ensure a smooth loan process and create a loan program that meets your financial needs and goals.